Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

January 18, 2011

Top 10 Movies of '10


Now that I FINALLY watched The Social Network, I'm ready to post my top 10 movies of the year.
Top 10 Movies of 2010:

10. The Fighter: Strong, very well done movie, which suffers from too much hype and a story that just felt too familiar, even if this exact story hadn't been told before. I'd like to see Amy Adams get Best Actress. I thought Christian Bale was over the top to the point of annoying…until they showed us the real Dickie. Hey, that sounds like a different Wahlberg flick.

9. Kick-Ass: I went with Porqchop, and I didn't know much about it going in, but it was the funniest movie of the year. The geeks are now owning the screen in Hollywood: Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera. Only thing missing is some sort of "Pack" nickname. "Dweeb Pack" just doesn't have the same ring as Rat, Brat or Frat.

8. Toy Story 3: Kept the Pixar streak alive. Sweet, funny and good fun for the entire fam.

7. The Kids Are Alright: Stellar performances all around, but it just wasn't the sweet-quirky movie I was expecting. I blame the previews, because it just may have deserved a higher ranking. But when I'm expecting quirky Juno-esque, it's best to not let me down. Love everything Mark Ruffalo does, Julianne Moore never fails to deliver and Annette Benning delivers one memorable performance per decade, and this was it.

6. Inception: When I walked out of this complete mind raping, I was sure it would end the year atop my list. But then a strange thing happened, after the first few days of obsessing over the genius of the story, I pretty much stopped thinking about it completely. Deserves a second viewing, I just can't bring myself to dedicate so much time and energy again just yet.

5. Social Network: Aaron Sorkin flat out rules. If we spoke the way his characters did, the world would be a far superior place. As I said, I just finally watched this, so perhaps the hype was too much to live up to, I just wasn't blown away. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as I went from despising Zuckerberg to sympathizing for him, an emotion no billionaire deserves.

4. The Town: My favorite movie of the year. Saw it twice in the theatre, purchased the BluRay upon release, and have watched it two more times at home. Ben Affleck has fully entrenched himself as his generations' Clint Eastwood, and Jeremy Renner is phenomenal. Check out the extended version for a one scene in particular.

3. 127 Hours: Might be the most intense, yet physically difficult to watch, movie I've ever seen. Flying solo, Franco owns the screen, which guarantees a nomination like playing a gay or mentally handicapped character.

2. True Grit: Jeff Bridges is outstanding, as is the unrecognizable Matt Damon. But Hailee Steinfeld steals the scenes like Natalie Portman did in The Professional. She's going places.

1. The King's Speech: For a while I was dead set on the idea that Collin Firth deserved Best Actor, but I think that maybe I felt that way because A. he was phenomenal and B. it made me feel smarter to go with the British film. I'm changing my vote to James Franco. His performance stuck with me longer, than any other this year.

Worst Movie of the Year: No contest, and also winner of most disappointing movie was Due Date. I'd like my money, my 90 minutes and my self respect back. Please and thank you.

(I have yet to see: The Black Swan, Winter's Bone, The Ghost Writer, Solitary Man, or I Am Love)


No comments: