Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

February 26, 2007

Might Cause Some Trouble

Today the big story actually has nothing to do with Britney Spears or Anna-Nicole Smith. That very fact itself is newsworthy. The story is that there’s a James Cameron documentary hitting the Discovery Channel on March 4th, in which they examine if archeologists found two stone ossuaries that some say may have contained the remains of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. (Off topic real quick, if Jesus were around today, and dating, would his relationship get one of those cool TomKat or Bradjolina type names? Maybe JesuSpears? Although I’m sure he’d have better taste, but if anyone needs saving….)

Anyway, I really don’t have much on this. Except that I was reading a story about it, in which biblical scholar, Stephen Phann from the University of the Holy Land in Jerusalem (wonder what their mascot is?) said, “How possible is it? On a scale of one through 10 -- 10 being completely possible -- it's probably a one, maybe a one and a half."

Now, I wonder if you use the same scale, what are the odds that there’s actually a God and that he had a son? DNA is used in courtrooms across the globe to prove, or disprove someones guilt or innocence. Shouldn’t the fact that Jesus probably doesn’t have any DNA from his pops, change how much credibility we give DNA testing?

For the record, this isn’t cause I’m some anti-Christian Jew who doesn’t believe that Jesus is the son of God. The truth is I’m an agnostic-Jew who really doubts any of that stuff is true, but I do see the value in the idea of God. And hey, some of my best friends are Christians. But I also have an idea that the Mets will win the World Series this year, it’s an idea that I hold and enjoy. I don’t necessarily think the whole world should agree with me, or they are wrong if they disagree. I just hope they are proven wrong. Just listen to what Chris Rock said in Dogma.

“It bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it. I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.”

No comments: